Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What Girls Wish Moms Knew (Tip #3)


It's easy to bump through the day answering only the questions put directly to us: Where's my backpack? What's for dinner? Can I watch TV?

But think about the questions our kids almost ask us. How many are there? Maybe our children can't find the words. Or they can't get a moment alone with us. Puberty surely is on their minds, but not every child will have the courage to blurt out what's troubling them.

In our KidsHealth.org survey of 11,000 girls, many said they wished they didn't have start the conversation. That brings us today's tip for moms:

Daughter-mother Tip #3: Bring it up.
Lots of girls said they wished their moms would broach the subject. Said one girl: “She doesn't really bring it up herself and I’m not sure when and what to ask.” Said another: “She could tell me that she will always be there for me and that if I need anything, I can be free to talk to her. And then she could get me a bra.”

More than 70% of girls under age 13 told us that they still questions about puberty. And girls, by far, picked mom as the person they'd most like to talk with. Looks like you'll have to be the brave one. Start the conversation. Your daughter will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment