Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dear Mom, Here's What I Wish You Knew (Tip 1)


To prepare for the launch of The Pink Locker Society, KidsHealth.org surveyed 11,000 girls and 5,000 moms about puberty. Only 25% of girls said they were comfortable talking to their moms. And most moms (80%) said they felt unprepared to talk about the basics, such as periods, bras, and boys.

To bridge this gap, I flipped through thousands of girls' responses to the following questions:

Why is your mom so easy to talk with?
or
What could your mom do to make these conversations better?

I whittled all that girl talk down to 10 "daughter-mother" tips. I'll be sharing them, one at a time, starting today. I hope they make it easier for you to connect with your daughter. Talking to your daughter about growing up lets her know she's normal and that someone is in her corner: You!

Daughter-Mother Tip #1: Make yourself available.
Girls appreciate when their moms give puberty the time they think it deserves. One girl said, “My mom is always busy when I want to talk to her, so I feel like she is not really listening.” But when moms are ready to talk, girls feel better. “I know we can just talk,” one girl said. Another added, “She told me to come to her and she listens.”

1 comment:

  1. Hey my short film "A Period Piece" is a great resource for both parents and teachers. The girls that see it adore it, it is lighthearted and focuses on a 11year old girl named Sionne afraid of getting her first period. See the trailer at www.cinemomma.com

    I would love to do a online screening with you all or partner somehow. Contact Camille Holder-Brown at 347.661.7179 or aperiodpiece@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete